Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DELIGHT & DESIRE

"Delight yourself in the Lord."   Reflecting on that portion of Psalm 37:4, I was thinking about what "delight" means.  I recently was visiting my 6 month old granddaughter, Hadassah, and she is what came to my mind.  She is definitely a "delight".  She smiles and her eyes shine and when she looks at you, her face lights up.  She observes everything around her and kicks her feet up in joy, and there is no doubt that she enjoys to be with you.

So these are the questions I ask myself?

  1. Do I smile at the Lord?
  2. Do my eyes shine as I look to Him?
  3. Does my face light up in His presence?
  4. Do I observe HIs presence and kick up my feet (dance in joy)?
  5. Does He know I enjoy to be with Him?
Oswald Chambers says  that there is a delight in despair, a joy in hopelessness;  and I see and talk to so many weary people.  He goes on to say that delight is knowing that there is something in us which must fall prostrate before God, realizing He is our only hope of being raised up.

Psalm 37:4 goes on says "And He will give you..." 

"He will"  means absolutely, for sure, never failing, no doubt, trustworthy, reliable, responibility.  

"Give you" ...... that means me, the one He created.

My mind and heart can't quite wrap itself around this truth.  And then it goes on and says He gives me "the desires of your heart".  Out of weariness, someone recently said to me "I don't know what the desires of my heart are anymore".

For me "Desires" are longings, stirrings, something inside of me wanting to be let out, a giving of myself which in turn takes in great blessing, not being stuck.  It's God's Holy Spirit covering mine.  It's a mystery.

"Of my heart" is:
  • Longing for the presence of God 24/7 instead of visiting despair
  • Relationships at peace put together by God, belonging to God, molded by God instead of trying on my own
  • Wanting God to take my heart completely and transform it
(I get in the way in all of these)

God's instructions continue in this Psalm -- give Him my ways, trust, be still and wait patiently; then refrain from anger, do not fret.  That's overwhelming and failure seems inevitable.

Then little Hadassah's face & smile come to mind and I turn in abandonment to the only one who can make my face shine, my feet leap, and my heart smile. 

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love you Mom. Thank you for sharing God's wisdom! I will reminded every time I look at my sweet Hadassah.