So these are the questions I ask myself?
- Do I smile at the Lord?
- Do my eyes shine as I look to Him?
- Does my face light up in His presence?
- Do I observe HIs presence and kick up my feet (dance in joy)?
- Does He know I enjoy to be with Him?
Psalm 37:4 goes on says "And He will give you..."
"He will" means absolutely, for sure, never failing, no doubt, trustworthy, reliable, responibility.
"Give you" ...... that means me, the one He created.
My mind and heart can't quite wrap itself around this truth. And then it goes on and says He gives me "the desires of your heart". Out of weariness, someone recently said to me "I don't know what the desires of my heart are anymore".
For me "Desires" are longings, stirrings, something inside of me wanting to be let out, a giving of myself which in turn takes in great blessing, not being stuck. It's God's Holy Spirit covering mine. It's a mystery.
"Of my heart" is:
- Longing for the presence of God 24/7 instead of visiting despair
- Relationships at peace put together by God, belonging to God, molded by God instead of trying on my own
- Wanting God to take my heart completely and transform it
God's instructions continue in this Psalm -- give Him my ways, trust, be still and wait patiently; then refrain from anger, do not fret. That's overwhelming and failure seems inevitable.
Then little Hadassah's face & smile come to mind and I turn in abandonment to the only one who can make my face shine, my feet leap, and my heart smile.