Thursday, February 10, 2011

Waterbrook Multnomah Book Review "Lady In Waiting"


Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner

The first page of "Lady In Waiting" had me hooked when Jane, the main character, managed an attic store. You see, I come from a town of 80 people, and for ten years I prayed for God to send me a prayer partner. When He did, she opened an antique shop and we had a blast setting it up and buying new products for it. So right away I was connected to Jane and wanted to know more.

Then in Chapter 2, Jane's marriage is on the rocks. I am drawn even closer to Jane now because I talk to so many women who are in similar marraiges; so I am very curious as to what Jane is going to do.

Then the book turns to the 1500's because of an old ring Jane finds and we are introducted to another "Jane". Susan Meissner transitions easily to this time period and the story flows, told passionately by Lucy, Jane' seamstress. This is a book you can't (or don't want to) put down.

I love how the author knows how to relate to us readers in the small things, such as eating "a bag of jalapeno kettle chips, the kind that once you start, you can't stop eating," and in the big things, like our responsibilities and relationships with the family God has given us. Duty and loyalty or the lack of teach us that life for those of royalty is not what it appears to be.

"Lady in Waiting" is like reading two fantastic books at once, one contemporary fiction, and the other historial fiction. It also stretches your imagination to dream and stirs in you to think about your life, the people you love, and the choices you make. This book is about choices we make and how each one is like a ripple in the water and affects th other. Just read it; you won't be disappointed.

Disclaimer: I received this book compliments of Waterbrook Multnomah for which I am so thankful.


No comments: